Old commercial buildings have a lot to offer, from their unique character and often spacious interiors, to their relative affordability (compared to building new) or architectural/historic significance. However, these benefits are usually accompanied by significant challenges, like lack of insulation, low quality lighting, poor window design, out-of-date interior spaces, and poor ventilation/heating. This makes very old buildings very inefficient – both in terms of their energy usage and in terms of productivity and comfort! Here are some insights on dealing with just one of these aspects – HVAC – from our commercial HVAC systems team in NJ.
Common Problems Resulting From Old Commercial HVAC Systems
Old and outdated HVAC systems can make your building unpleasant and unhealthy to live in or work in, and expensive to run. Here are some common problems that you can expect from HVAC systems in very old buildings:
- Poor indoor air quality – Musty smells, presence of VOCS, exhaust fumes, etc.
- Noise – Rattling, clanking and other intrusive noises from your equipment and ductwork.
- Inconsistent heating and cooling in different parts of the building, and poor air flow.
- High energy costs due to older, inefficient boilers.
- Constant repairs, downtime and maintenance costs.
These are issues that plague old buildings, and the reasons for them are simple:
- Age – Its fair to say that any heating cooling system in place for more than 20 years is probably running inefficiently, or is nearing its normal end of life. As a building owner or manager, you really need to understand what this is costing you, and have a plan to convert components over to newer designs, not just endless repairs.
- A lack of maintenance.– Heating and cooling systems have a difficult job to do, and preventative maintenance is key to keeping a system running properly. Not having a plan in place results in minor problems causing major issues, as they were never sorted out early or prevented from occurring in the first place.
- Patchwork repairs and updates – It’s a costly process to update your ductwork and ventilation systems, and many old buildings suffer from partial repair jobs that were done in an effort to save money. The result is an investment that can’t perform properly – and that means an ineffective system that needs a complete overhaul in order to function.
- Inexperienced contractors – Commercial HVAC services are nothing like residential services, and require an experienced and reliable team of trained professionals in order to design, install and maintain them. Work done by contractors without the time, skills or team to do the job properly can leave buildings with a system that is incorrect for the building’s needs, inefficient, and of poor quality. Old buildings are even more of a challenge, as you’ll need a specialist who can understand what is possible for the lowest possible cost; a specialist that can work with the unique demands, features and requirements of old structures.
The Answer? Speak To Our Commercial HVAC Company In NJ For A Custom Solution
At Tri-Tech Energy, we specialize in providing innovative, custom designed commercial HVAC systems for all types of buildings, from hotel and office blocks to apartment blocks, historic buildings, and retail buildings. With over 30 years of experience, our teams deliver high-quality design, installation, maintenance and repair services for commercial HVAC systems throughout the New Jersey area. We work on both new commercial builds and retrofitting projects for old buildings, and have our own site where custom HVAC ductwork is developed to overcome all the challenges that old buildings feature. For more information on our commercial HVAC company in NJ or services, please contact us today or visit our website at https://www.tritechenergy.com/
Original content posted on https://www.tritechenergy.com/blog/dealing-hvac-old-building/